Wednesday, January 26, 2011

When Will We Emerge? - India's Vision for this Century

I just read the Talent Magnet, a thoughtful op-ed in the New York Times (Link:  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/opinion/25brooks.html?_r=1&emc=eta1) on America’s new role in the world economy as well as the new world order. (Recommended by one of the smartest people in my life!)  The author argues that no longer will the U.S. remain the “big dog nation” but instead will compete with other countries for innovation, which subsequently will determine the most successful country of the next century.  I agree with the author broadly, but worry that the U.S. has a long way to go in its own primary education and secondary education to drive innovation through most levels of its society.  But I love the fact that a country demands such a vision of its leader through the State of the Union.

This brings me to my next point, when will the Indian public start demanding such a vision from its leaders? When will ask them what India’s vision is for this next century? I know a couple of states in India, such as Gujarat and Bihar, have actually articulated this vision and put their money where their mouth is.  But what about the rest of us? Yes, we have a huge list of “must wins”, but when will start tackling them so as to define the New India?

To borrow my dear friend Vibha's statement, "When will India emerge?"

No comments:

Post a Comment